Thursday, May 06, 2010

50's propaganda toy kit











The Creativity Kit (50's style Christian propaganda toy kit)

Assignment: Find two objects in a second hand store and come up with a new function or use for them.

I found this beautiful first aid kit box from St Johns Ambulance who specializes in first aid kits. St Johns Ambulance is also a part of the Salvation army and the name comes from this Christian order several centuries ago.

After doing some research I'm assuming that the box isn't as old as it appears to be. I emailed St Johns Ambulance and they had never seen a first aid kit like this and on closer inspection of the box it looks like it's made to look older like a movie prop. I think the box could be either from the 50-70s but then turned into a first aid kit by a theatre prop maker or something similar. But nonetheless it looks really nice.

The second item was a an old plastic film camera. So I thought, how could I combine these two things?

I wanted to make a Creativity kit, but with a big twist and do it like it would be more of a propaganda piece for Christians and in the spirit of the 50's toys in America.

For the poster I did a lot of research on toy advertisements of the era and found appropriate typefaces and pictures I could make the montage out of.

For the box I wanted to make like a tribute to the old school Mystery Toy Boxes. I also wanted it to really be "In your face". Like the company who made it really wanted to push the logo and hypnotize you into excitement and amazement, but also having it look a bit evil, like it would be this fanatical religious church behind it.

I also wanted the opening of the box to be a big "Aaaaaahhhh-moment". Having it to feel like the box almost transformed itself into something bigger. I thought a lot about the space inside the box and how I could use it. To make it look like all the boxes were stacked on each other but actually they are attached to the box itself in a specific order.

Every box is filled with different creative objects like scissors, sewing kit, pencils, camera, film rolls, clear tape, brushes etc and also a custom made notebook I made which have the paper folded in a really nifty way so you can have twice the space to write on if you unfold it.

Oh wait, one last thing. For the observant readers, theirs one unmarked box in there. What could it be? Well I guess you have to buy the box to find out ;).

No but for real, it's a nice little gift from the church ;) haha. A little cross-bracelet they want YOU to wear! In you face!

Special thanks to my friend Marthe who helped me to come up with the company name and the Holy Macaroni-line :D

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great project! And you've managed to turn what would an otherwise be an interesting - but just interesting - wooden box into something fun and ironic. It'd even make for a good prop in a history class.

Hey M, this is a perfect example of thinking out of the box!

I hope you get it back to keep after you've been graded for it!

Martin Rinman said...

thanks lydia :) good comment! actually i already have it back! my teacher took some photos of it so he could grade it! Would love to keep it but not sure if I can get it back to Sweden. Lets see :)

Lisa said...

that is such a cool poster, and kit you've created! And i love the religious humour, lol i'm such a sucker for those kind of things! :)

Martin Rinman said...

hehe thanks lisa :) yeah religious humour is fun! cant take life to serious :)

L-O Lindell said...

Herre jösses! Vilken splendid idea med en sån däringa kreativitetsväska! Den borde du ju nästan pitcha för gubbarna i "Draknästet" ;) Snygg poster dessutom.

Martin Rinman said...

Tack LO :) haha jaa kanske vore något :D Kul att du gilla den! Är du tillbaka i blogg-etern snart eller?

L-O Lindell said...

You´re welcome. "Lallaren" formerly known as "Lars-Olof Lindell vardag" kan dyka upp i en ny skepnad inom en snar framtid...

Martin Rinman said...

Det ser jag framemot :)